On November 27-28, 2014, Mexico City welcomed for the first time in Latin America, the Global Social Business Summit. Outstanding speakers, experienced or novice social business entrepreneurs present their initiatives and debate with participants the most pressing challenges faced by the social business community.
More than 800 participants with very diverse backgrounds and coming from all over the world gathered to collaborate and actively contribute to the social business movement. Following this year´s leading theme “Shaping Social Business to Shape the World of 2020”, discussions were notably articulated around the impacts of the current unsustainable economic and financial system as well as the associated generational and structural shifts.
ANNOUNCEMENTS MADE DURING THE GLOBAL SOCIAL BUSINESS SUMMIT 2014
- Announcement of a partnership between the Grameen Creative Lab and CEMEX to foster a social business model in housing with focus on family businesses
- Announcement of a partnership between the Yunus Social Business and SoSense, a crowdfunding company
- Announcement of the creation of a 5 million dollars fund, financed by USaid to support the Yunus Social Business´ project in Haiti, Albania and Uganda
- Announcement of the creation in Mexico of a fund dedicated to the promotion of Social Business; already one million dollars has been collected to finance two projects
- Announcement of a new social business initiative in Chittagong, Bangladesh in partnership with CSBC (Chittagong Social Business Centre Ltd)
- Announcement that Mexico City will become a Social Business City
- Announcement of a collaboration between the Yunus Center and the Japan Automechanic Ltd. starting in January 2015
- Announcement of a partnership between the Latribe University, Australia and the Yunus Center
- Announcement of Berlin to host the Global Social Business Summit 2015